- Simple Command-Line Access to Amazon EC2 and Amazon S3: + project page
- A MySQL Storage Engine for AWS S3
Backups on S3
- Why I Started Using Amazon S3
- Backing Up Flickr Photos with Amazon S3 (Python scripts)
- Amazon S3 PHP Class Update (PHP)
- File Uploads to Amazon S3 the AJAX way thanks to Dojo
- How I automated my backups to Amazon S3 using s3sync
- S3 Backup – Fail-safe, Encrypted Online Backup
Amazon S3 Resources
- Amazon S3: 16 Sites and Resources, Example
- CacheFly vs. Amazon S3
- Using Amazon S3 as in Image Hosting Service
- Introduction to Amazon S3 with Java and REST
- Automated Server Pool Management in Java
- Running Hadoop MapReduce on EC2 and S3 + Sample code
Amazon SimpleDB Resources
- What You Need to Know about Amazon SimpleDB
- Amazon SimpleDB – Limited Beta
- Amazon SimpleDB Developer Guide
- Amazon SimpleDB. What nobody is talking about?
- Eventual consistency
- Relating to SimpleDB
- Query 101: Building SimpleDB Queries
- Query 201: Tips & Tricks for SimpleDB Query
Amazon S3 Tips & Tricks
CNAME + domain name
You can create a CNAME record off your domain and point it to s3.amazonaws.com, creating a branded URL to your S3 bucket. Your bucket name must also match the CNAME + domain name.
So, you could create a CNAME record named “S3” and point it to s3.amazonaws.com. Then, create a bucket called “s3.codinghorror.com” in your S3 account and place all your static stuff there. Then, when you create the reference in your code you can use “s3.codinghorror.com”.
Virtual Hosting of Buckets
S3 was designed for occasionally sharing large files, not “often sharing” small files. Ping times can be over a second, sometimes 2. It is great for 80 meg files every once in a while, but not for 15k PINGs 100,000 times a day.
S3 still seems to have some problems with speed. When serving greater than 60,000 hits per day, the images load VERY slowly. Except on days where it’s so slow it’s not even loading. We like the idea of s3, but we switched back to hosting our own images on likebetter.com after too many speed issues. Also, about 1 in 100 loads fail randomly.
Amazon Services Code
- boto: AWS for Python + boto
- EC2 Query
- S3 REST Library
- Monster Muck Mashup – Mass Video Conversion Using AWS