I’ve thought of putting together a short list of links as a reference on how to handle Unicode, UTF8 in Python.
Before jumping to Python resources, you should also read Joel’s article on Unicode and Character sets (before going forward you need to be sure that Unicode and UTF8 are clear).
Python, Unicode and UTF8
- How to Use UTF-8 with Python
- Python Unicode Tutorial
- Unicode HOWTO
- Guaranteed conversion to unicode or byte string
- Dive Into Python: Unicode
- PEP100 – Python Unicode Integration (final)
- Unicode In Python, Completely Demystified
- All About Python and Unicode
You can read about unicode in the newer versions 2.6 and 3.0 respectively.
Python 3.0 has completely revamped Unicode usage and even if I don’t think there are many places where Py3k is in production, you should make sure that you read about these changes.
If you have other good links about Python, Unicode and UTF8 just drop a comment.